Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins (Vegan and Wheat free)



I'm getting lots of zukes in my CSA box so I'm looking for ways to use them up and wanted to find a dessert that Julia could eat.  I chose this recipe with a few minor tweaks and my non-allergy children loved them too.  I had to make them stop eating them so poor Julia could enjoy them.  I wish I would've doubled the recipe (while everything was still out and a mess!  I cleaned the kitchen up while they were baking.) but I wasn't sure how they'd turn out with the gluten free flour. These muffins are super-moist, a bit springy and tasty.

Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins (Fat Free, Gluten Free, Vegan)
by Speakin' Vegan on Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 8:29pm ·
Servings: 12
Ingredients:
  •  cups gluten free baking mix ( I used Tom Sawyer that I bought at Naturally Soergel)
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa (We also added Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks and Julia was heavy-handed!)
  •  tsp baking powder
  • ¾ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 whole banana, mashed
  • ½ cup raw sugar
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (I didn't have applesauce so I used olive oil here)
  • ¼ cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin pan and set aside. If using paper liners, lightly spray inside of liners with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. In another bowl, cream mashed banana with applesauce and sugar (use extra 1/2 cup for a very sweet, dessert-like muffin). Add in milk, vanilla, zucchini and any other optional add-ins you might like such as vegan chocolate chips. Stir until evenly combined. Add flour mix to wet mix in 3-4 batches and stir until just combined. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan and bake 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
 
Adapted for gluten free diet from http://happyherbivore.com/2009/01/chocolate-zucchini-muffins/

No comments: